Being a single mother is not the easiest thing. Irrespective of your financial muscle, having nobody by your side makes it hard to balance your finances. This is why many grants for single mothers are being offered by the government and many other well-wishers. Among the most important grants are the education grants for single moms. These grants are designed to help single mothers afford themselves or their children quality education. Education is without doubt the most important inheritance you can leave for your kids. In addition, it can also help you land a better job that will offset most of your bills.
What Are Your Options?
The most important thing you need to know before beginning your search is what actually is in store for you. Contrary to common belief, there are many education grants for single mothers waiting for you. These can be classified into two major categories:
1. Need-based education grants: These grants are a reserve of single mothers and their dependants who hail from financially strained households. Examples of such grants for single mothers include the Federal Pell Grant Program and the Federal Supplementary Opportunity Grants.
2. Merit-based education grants: these grants are only given to single mothers or their dependants who exhibit exemplary academic performance or possess a certain unique talent or trait. A good example is The national SMART (Science and Mathematics Access To Retain talent) Grant.
The above types of education grants for single moms are not necessarily mutually exclusive. In case you qualify for both categories, there is no harm in applying for both.
There is no doubt that there are a good number of education grants for single mothers out there. However, this does not mean that getting them is going to be an easy task. You will need to know your way around so as to take good advantage of these facilities. Here are some important tips to help you land these grants for single mothers:
– Never give up: The last thing you can do when seeking financial aid is to give up. It’s definitely not going to be easy, but throwing in the towel won’t make education any cheaper. Remember that it is by being persistenct that most single moms have managed to get these grants.
– Don’t rule yourself out: Education grants for single moms are notorious for their scary conditions. However, many of these are just to scare off unworthy applicants. As long as you meet most of the stated conditions, just aplly and let someone else rule you out.
– Don’t pay anything upfront: At no point should you open your purse without being sure you are going to get help. This will help you avoid the many tricksters who only want to rinse your wallet in the name of education grants for single mothers.
– Have all the paperwork in order: The only way to beat deadlines is to always have the documents ready. Fill out the necessary FAFSA forms in advance, just in case the financial aid institutions might require them.
It goes without saying that the more grants you apply for, the higher your chances of getting one of the education grants for single mothers. This is not to say that you should apply for tens of them; just three to five will do.